Summertime in Texas is not for the weak of heart. Right now in August, when the heat index is 110 degrees, it can be hard to cool down your body.
It is so hot and muggy, the heat can take your breath away. And when you are hot natured like me, you have to find ways to lower your body temperature fast.
Here are my top 5 ways to cool down quickly from the excruciating Texas heat:
- Something to Drink – I don’t go outside any more than I have to during the heat of the summer. But when I do, I make sure there is plenty of water or Gatorade to drink. Either drink quenches your thirst and helps rehydrate what your body sweats out. Getting your internal temperature down will help your external temperature go down too.
- Water Hose – I have also been known to drink straight from the water hose. When you are hot and thirsty, anything will work in the Texas heat. The water hose is also great for an impromptu outdoor shower. You can hold the hose over your head all the way down to spraying your legs and feet.
- Air Conditioning – When I walk into the house after I have hosed myself off in the yard, it feels wonderful when the air conditioner hits my body. Talk about cooling down quickly.
- Use Water on Pulse Points – I have also learned to use my pulse points to help my body cool down quicker. Running cool water on my wrists and/or underarms aids in bringing down your body temperature. Wetting a towel with cool water and laying it across the back of your neck will hurry up the process too.
- Remove Shoes (and socks) – There is nothing I like better than coming home after a long day at work and removing my shoes and socks. This releases a day’s worth of trapped heat. To enhance this effect, you can stand on a tile floor. When my feet are cool, my body is cool.
These are my top 5 ways to quickly cool down in the unbearable Texas heat.
I would love to hear your method(s) for cooling off quickly, so please leave a comment below.